Ireland - 1998

 A friend announced they were getting married - great news.  Same friend saying they were getting married in Ireland - even better news.  We had never been there so what more excuse did we need?

We booked a flight, bought the guidebook and planned the trip to bookend the wedding.  The flight was less than great as we flew Canada 3000 which was a discount airline.  It had what were some of the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in on an airplane - which is saying something since I had flown in many 3rd world countries.  

We survived the flight and tooled around Ireland for 3 weeks.  We started in Dublin, went to the west coast, Dingle Penninsula, down through Cork (where the wedding was) and back up to Dublin for the trip home.  Highlights include the usual sights and sounds of the country, copious amounts of Guinness and other tasty Irish beers, and the people.  

We were in one bar in Dublin one night watching a live show and a guy across the way kept looking at us.  We thought it a bit weird but carried on with enjoying the show.  At the end of the night we made our way out and the guy accosted us: "Are you from Canada?" was the question.  I then realized that the Molson Canadian shirt I was wearing (don't ask why I was wearing it, I can't remember) was what he was looking at.  

We replied that indeed we were, and he proceeded to tell us about his years in Canada.  We said we were originally from Winnipeg, and he roared "WINNIPEG! I lived there for years!" and he regaled us with stories of blasting through the intersection of Portage and Main in the winter because he couldn't stop and many others.  It was a most memorable encounter.  

I promised my wife I wouldn't railfan and for the most part I kept that part of the deal.  We were travelling by train and bus so I did manage a few photos along the way.   Iarnród Éireann (Irish Rail) is the main railway in Ireland.  It operates predominantly EMD/GMD locomotives, at least when we were there.  We saw examples of the 141 Class, 181 Class and EMD 201 class.  A few photos of the ones we encountered are below.  

We'd like to head back someday to travel the areas of Ireland (and Northern Ireland) that we didn't get to on this trip.   

The main station in Dublin.  It was a very rainy day


EMD 210 lurking in the station - I think this was Dublin

141 Class unit heading out of Dublin.  


Class 181 departing Limerick Station - We waited for our train in a Hurling Bar.  Irish Field Hockey, not what you do after a few too many beers.



Departing Limerick
The COFC yard is adjacent to the station.  The crane in the background is to unload containers from railcars.`

My all-time favourite freight car load - Barrels of Guinness.  If I could figure out how to model this on my layout I would do it.  



223 passing through the station somewhere near Cork 


Reminder of home


I want to say this was leaving Cork but I'm not sure anymore.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something a little closer to home (literally) - Canadian Pacific's Arbutus Spur

Ferrominera Orinoco Venezuelan Iron Ore

Buenos Aires Al Pacifico Railway